Sunday, March 18, 2012

Isn’t it funny…

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about my crafting and my blogging and all that jazz. Isn’t it funny how we get into ruts/routines without even really realizing it?

I’ve been blogging for almost 5 years. When I first started blogging I made a goal to myself to get my blog known, to get myself known. I accomplished that. :)

I still really love blogging and leaving comments~~ seeing all the gorgeous creations in blogland, meeting all the new people, making friends.

But after thinking about it, I don’t like the pressure I put on myself to have a blog post every day. I don’t even know where that idea came from but it’s been in my mind for years…must have a blog post, must have a blog post. So silly I know.

As a result, I find that I “rush” through most of my creations and most of the time, I’m not totally thrilled with the results. I also am the Queen of Procrastination so when I do have something due for a challenge or design team I am usually doing it last minute and again, not totally thrilled with the end result.

Many friends work ahead on their projects, I always tease them and say they are overachievers and what not. Well, in reality, they are the smart ones. LOL!

So I decided to take a step to break my habits, my routines. I want to savor the creating process. I don’t want to rush. I don’t want to always be Little Miss Last Minute.

So, I’m trying the novel idea of getting ahead. And with that, it might mean that there isn’t a blog post every day~~ which I know really doesn’t matter to anyone but me but it truly is a HUGE thing for me.

But hopefully the end results will be ones that I am happier with and maybe it’ll help me grow as a crafter too as life isn’t fun if you don’t learn and grow in your passions, right?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, so to speak, and also to get it in writing so I follow through! Life is really to wonderful to rush through anyway!

As one of my dearest friends says~ Follow Your Heart in Art and Life…and that’s what I intend to do!

15 comments:

Sue from Oregon said...

Yes, I had to make that same decision...it has been really nice once I stepped back a little to enjoy the process!

Ashley Newell said...

I made the same decision too. I needed to blog for fun, not blog because I felt I had to put up something new everyday. Hugs to you!

dolcreations said...

I too Danni did the same thing! I love seeing your creations and I love to hear you enjoy it so much. If you don't enjoy what you are doing then it is no fun! Don't you worry one darn bit girl!!! We love to see whatever you do...and whenever you do it! Enjoy your time with your kids, hubby , furballs and enjoy the craft the way it should be enjoyed ! See you next post Danni!

Leanne said...

Great decision Danni! I don't know how others can do it. It's so tough. I'm glad your choosing to take time and enjoy the process, and maybe you'll share your thoughts on how it's going along the way. Big Hugs!!

Sammi said...

Good post Danni! Thanks!! I am like you too!!! (hugs) xxx

Karen Wilson said...

Great decision Danni. I found I was doing the same thing - rushing through and then thinking "I really don't like this, now what?" So I did the same. I try not to worry about posting something every single day. I do try to say, on the wknd, think of what's due the coming week and get them done and pre-posted. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't fret - enjoy creating!! No stress!!!

Unknown said...

I can totally relate to this, Danni! That is one of the reasons why I am not in so many teams right now. Well, of course the main reason is my baby. LOL Crafting is suppose to be fun and if you are constantly trying to meet deadlines and such, it's work! Yes, when you are not rushing, the end result is much better. You will be happy with it and your crafty juice flows naturally. Don't worry about posting daily. I don't as you can see. LOL I post when I have time, when I am in the mood. It's your blog, you post when you can. I used to try my best to comment on everyone's posts as well but with full time job and kids, it's just impossible. I let that go as well. I comment when I have the time. Again, I don't want to make it a "duty". I still do check out everyone's creations on Reader daily though...

Angela said...

I had to come the the same realization almost a year ago. I still do my DT creations but I too wait till last minute. All the fun was of crafting was gone when I had soooooo many DT comments adn I always waited till the last minute as I always had a TON to do that I never got to just create for fun. So I went from 7 DT's down to 3 and an Guest spot here and there. It is a lot easier to handle but I still don't get time to create a lot of just for fun creations, but I am ok with that. I don't have time to comment on all my bloggin friends blogs everyday and I don't except them to have to comment on my everyday.
I just had to start realizing that my family was more important than having a post everyday which I would stay up way too late to finish and get posted. I know you will start feeling so much better about yourself and your creations.
Good luck!!
Hugs:)
Angela

Amanda R said...

I so agree with you Danni and I never count how often someone posts so I wouldn't fuss over that daily thing. If I can't post a card I am happy with it really stresses me. Of course some I like better than others but that is just life. If I am getting to the point where I am not enjoying it anymore then I need to reassess. Take a step back, enjoy the process!

Unknown said...

I hear you sweetie, when I started hating what I love to do, it was time to go back to loving it. I think you'll understand that sentence!! Enjoy what you create and create what you enjoy! Hugzzzz

June Houck said...

Good for you, Danni! No need to post every day; that's a lot of typing and photos that could be taking time away from crafting or from family time. Big hug form me :)

Chris said...

Keep it fun! I try and post every other day and even that can be a chore. If it's no fun though and too much pressure, folks just quit. Take a break - enjoy life! :)

Lynette said...

I know just how you feel, Danni. I'm trying to "allow" myself to not feel guilty when I go a day or two with no post. Like today, for instance:) (Although, it's 10:00 and I'm trying to decide if I have time to do a quick card!)

Chrissy D said...

I am right there with you. 5 years ago, I WANTED to be known as well and be on all of these DT's... now I just want to RELAX and enjoy the process. Wishing you the best as you find the joy in stamping again!

Monika/Buzsy said...

I think many of us feel the same. I had change my blogging habbits and not worry about things! Glad you are finding a way that works for you. That's what this is about.