Sunday, March 2, 2008

Heat Embossing Tips

For one of the groups I'm on I am putting out tips every week on different things. Thought I'd put them here as well. I'm no expert, just things that help me.

When I first started embossing I hated it. My powder would melt funky, it never looked right, I had stray "dots" on the paper. Yeah, I hated it. Then I asked, got tips and now I enjoy it. So here's a few things that helped me.

- Rub a dryer sheet over the paper you are embossing. This reduces static electricity so there aren't any stray dots on your project, or at least fewer strays. There are also products out there for this but I have found a dryer sheet works well for me for now.
- Hold the heat gun 3-5 inches away from your paper and move it in circles constantly. This helps to give a more even melt.
- Use a piece of aluminum foil under your paper. This helped me so much! It helps the heat be reflected back and heats more quickly and evenly.
-Always be sure you are working on a surface that is heat resistant. I've melted a few spots on my plastic table. I use a cheap cutting board.
- Practice, practice and practice!!!

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Hi Danni

Ok, I'm going to try the dryer sheet as I hate it when an embossed card has sprinkles on it!

LOL

Anonymous said...

That is very helpful, I've not seen the tip about the foil before, thank you.

Mary Mac