Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Send a Smile 4 Kids


I am so pleased and just filled with happiness as I have just went through my stash of cards and got 55 cards ready to be mailed off to Send a Smile 4 Kids. I hope to make monthly card donations to them from now on as this is one cause that touches my heart.
For those who don’t know, my Annabelle was in the Children’s Hospital in Kansas City, a week after she was born. She was having seizures and after a horrific day at the hospital where she was born and watching them poke my baby 18 times to try and get blood and spinal fluid--with no success--they air-lifted her to the Children’s Hospital.
She was in their care for a week and basically her seizures were caused from her thyroid not being fully developed and not producing enough calcium and magnesium.
I will never forget how kind and caring the staff was there. So I can just imagine if you add in receiving handmade cards, it truly would be an extra blessing in a most trying time.
Annabelle is fine now and has never had another seizure but I still remember that time of our lives that was filled with fear of losing our precious baby girl.
Matthew was also in the German equivalent of a Children’s hospital for a week after birth too. But he is also fine now.
So yes, this cause touches me deeply and now that I’ve found it, I hope to help promote it and donate to it as much as I can! I hope you’ll consider helping out too!
I was pleased to find out that they also have challenges to help get your creativity going so I hope to play along often!
Their current challenge is to use punches and/or die cuts. I noticed when I was getting cards ready to go that I didn’t have many “boy” cards so I’m going to try to do more of those (why are they so hard for me?) so here’s what I came up with~


The little details~ Matthew, Memento Tuxedo Black, copics, SU Bashful Blue ink, nestabilities, copic multi-liner, My Mind’s Eye Lime Twist-Fly a Kite, SU border punch, Sizzlit button die, scrappers floss,
Photobucket

11 comments:

AmethystCat said...

Danni, so glad your kids are ok! Thanks for the tip on the card gifting idea. I'm doing different things with my class so that will be one I add to the list! thanks!

Mona Pendleton said...

So cute Danni!

Cami said...

Hi Danni. It's great to know that your children are doing fine now, but what an ordeal to go through soon after their birth. It's very thoughtful and generous of you to support this cause. Your "boy" card is so darn cute, and yes, we all don't tend to make too many "boy" cards. I think this is a great idea to support this cause.
Cami

Tina said...

This is such a pretty card.
So generous of you to support this most wonderful cause, I will have to check it out.

auntbeespickles said...

Hi Danni, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. There is nothing worse than a sick child. The helpless feeling is overwhelming. That is why I am involved with Send A Smile also. Thank you so much for sending in your cards someone will treasure them! This card is just adorable and we love receiving boy cards! Good luck with the challenge. I hope you will come back everyweek and play again with us!
Hugs, Sarah

Shelby said...

Danni...Your card is great and you do boy cards just perfectly! I'm so glad you found SAS4 Kids and even more appreciative of your donations and the kids and their parents will definitely get kicks and giggles out of your wonderful designs! Thank you also for becoming a following...it is very humbling but I'm most appreciative. Look forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations!

Shelby

Karen Hasheck said...

Hi Danni- thank you so much for your lovely post promoting SAS4Kids and for sharing your story about your daughter and a Children's Hospital. My grandson was also in a Children's Hospital for 5 weeks after he was born but is healthy and happy now, so I know how you felt. Your card is lovely and perfect for a boy. Thank you for sharing it with us at Send a Smile 4 Kids and we look forward to working with you in the new year.

Lorraine said...

What a great organization to donate to! Thanks for sharing your story. Your boy card is adorable! And you found 55 cards in your STASH?! Wow, you're a crafting machine!

Anonymous said...

AWW!! Danni, this is really sweet!!! LOVE your colors, the layout and cute cute buttons!! :) TFS!

Kathy Jones said...

Awwww...how totally cute is this boy card!! Perfect colours and design, love the button accents and great colouring!!!

Lucianna Dilsaver said...

What a sweet card and you have colored him so wonderfully! I am so glad you have found us and even more in awe of the amount of cards you have, soo soo great! Thanks for joining us over @ Send A Smile 4 Kids, hope to see you again :)